The aim of Zero Carbon is to be a leading low carbon technology commercialisation accelerator. Zero Carbon Technology is integrating a number of technologies with the aim of become a leading supplier of zero carbon living and working space solutions, components, systems, buildings and developments worldwide with at least one factory to deliver these solutions outside every major city. The business was launched at the WFES in Abu Dhabi in January 2008.
In order to achieve its aim Zero Carbon Technology has initially identified the following effective and efficient low carbon technologies to commercialise:
Technology that ZCTx is able to grant exclusively to includes:
1) AEEHTx – Atmospheric Electrical Energy Harvesting Technology, runner up in the prestigious Russian technology of the year award. Harvests electrostatic energy from the atmosphere through a ground pylon. Pilot demonstration unit utilises known electromagnetic phenomena and now needs scaling, the UHV-LV transformer that will be patented.
2) ATRTx – Active Thermoregulation Technology. Thermo regulated environments, working, living, storage, swimming, etc. Active heat pumps connected to EsTx high (250 oC) and cryogenic low temperature (-40 oC) thermal energy stores. Technology is ready to go into production using COTS components and to be patented Shell ConcreTx and SolarTx power.
3) BioCreTx – a building material made from agricultural waste. Panels of BioCreTx are formed in a patented, proprietary continuous pultrusion process. The process is CO2e negative as more CO2e is trapped in the panels then is used to manufacture them. Combines extremely high strength to weight ratios with good acoustic, thermal and fire insulating properties. In order to form Shell ConcreTx a licence to use an electro-textile called ETX is required to make H-E-A-Tx thermo-vacuum forming workstations that can press Shell ConcreTx panels any shape, form, texture and colour that include the building services within the ducting in the panels. Shell ConcreTx can be combined to a wide range of coatings and laminates giving the material a large range of properties, including high surface reflectance.
4) FinTx - Patented, operationally proven auxiliary hydrofoil technology is used to reduce the wetted area, and reduce unwanted ship movement, reducing by at least 10% the fuel consumption and emissions from marine craft. A number of new international agreements require shipping companies to significantly reduce their ships’ emissions. Virtually all existing cargo vessels and new builds can be retro- or outfitted with the FinTx system. Its universal design opens up an attractive market for the FinTx system, 60,000 of the worldwide approximately 100,000 ships listed in Lloyd’s Register and about 1,100 of the 1,900 newly built vessels joining the world’s merchant fleet each year could be predestined to be outfitted with FinTx.
5) GeTx – Patented, ultra efficient system for mixing liquids with liquids and solids with liquids. Existing mixing systems mix liquids with liquids and solids with liquids with liquid in the liquid phase. GeTx efficiently converts the liquids into a gaseous / aerosol phase that then can be combined efficiently and accurately with other liquids and solids with a 10 fold increase in efficiency in mixing of emulsions. The GeTx unit produces a 40% increase in strength of cementitous materials that has been proven in a large scale pre-cast batching plant operation in Russia. GeTx emulsified heavy (diesel to marzut) hydrocarbon fuels burn with 90% reduction in particulates and NOX, 10% greater usable mechanical power output and tested in the UK.
6) KECTx – Kinetic Energy Conversion (from wind & water) Technology – ultra efficient conversion of wind and water power to thermal or electrical power. Is ideal as an on-site renewable energy resource (RER) for building or community level thermal and electrical power requirements.
7) ZCV – Zero Carbon Vehicle Technology, includes:
a) Lightweight composite chassis made using a proprietary “zero carbon” composite space frame pultruded and wound frame.
b) Lightweight composite systems components & body panels made using a proprietary “zero carbon” composite with a unique cost effective HEATx vacuum process.
c) Lightweight glass processing technology.
d) Lightweight aluminium motor access from ZCTx
e) Lightweight plasma capacitor access from ZCTx.
The IPR will also include design & engineering solutions of the ZCV family including adaptive panelling that can be modified on an annual basis.
These technical advantages will ensure the vehicles are half the weight of the equivalent large metal based vehicle producers electric vehicles, therefore require 50% less energy to operate. The ZCV vehicles will have minimum metals, will have a 10 year guaranteed lifetime, therefore very cost effective vehicles to operate, more effective
10 ) ZCF – Zero Carbon Fibre
Zero Carbon Fibre uses a bioreactor to create a nano-cellulose dope that is spun into a filament yarn that is then cured into a high strength zero carbon “Viscose” type fibre or is cured in an autoclave to produce nano-carbon fibre. This process is unique in its low embedded energy content of the fibre, in its use of bio-waste as a feedstock, low capital and production cost, and very high strength fibres.
Technology that ZCTx has worked with the developers on to commercialise includes.
1) CEHTx – Controlled Environmental Horticulture Technology. Developed for the space exploration industry and demonstrated on a commercial scale over a 10 year time frame. CEHTx uses proprietary know how and distilled water to grow plants in a controlled environment, ideal for combining under SolarTx heliostats using H2OTx desalinated distilled water.
2) EHPGTx – Enriched Hydrocarbon Power Generation with CO2e sequestering using existing (piston & turbine) power plants with patented modifications with a patented continuous Flue Gas Injection Cycle. 20 years of technical development in a major technology institute. Technology allows continuous loop enriched hydrocarbon fuel to be burnt in an engine with positive GHG sequestering and oil recovery. Ready to be integrated into an oil field flue gas injection operation.
3) ESTx – Energy Storage Technology. High density, high technical and economic efficiency: PlasmaTx Capacitors created using a patentable aluminium foil plasma surface modification process and separately thermal and electrical energy storage technology. Technology demonstrator produced.
4) H2OTx – Patented water desalination using SolarTx power that produces no toxic brine, no CO2e, just high value salt and water as outputs. The key technologies developed over 15 years are:
a) A material for the water to flow through that does not enable marine organisms or chemicals to adhere to so no chemicals need adding to the water.
b) An advanced heat exchanger that enables water to be distilled in a vacuum without the use of coolant, Process is powered by SolarTx concentrated solar power.
c) Can be combined with CEHTx to produce food and with the SolarTx and AEEHTx electrical power generation technologies to increase site profitability.
d) Technology has been developed, and independently tested at the MEDRC.
5) SolarTx - Concentrated solar power to thermal and electrical energy technology. Patented thin concentrator panels use minimum materials whilst allowing optimum solar concentration in the parabolic reflectors to be varied depending on local area solar isolation variations combined with a patented efficient, robust heliostat. Concentrated solar power panels are available in two categories.
a) Solar energy to thermal energy in a patented solar energy receiver using a plasma modified stainless steel dark surface receiver in a vacuum tube used in the H2OTx plant.
6) Photovoltaic Chip Doping Technology enables conventional photo-voltaic chips to be doped turning them into multi-sun chips. This enables lower cost concentrators to be used to focus sunlight onto relatively expensive (standard PV chips are almost the same price as additionally doped ones) and energy intensive silicon photovoltaic chips. The key technology is in the chip doping, circuit assembly and system to enable the chip to maintain its energy conversion efficiency in magnified sunlight whilst keeping the chip within its optimum operating temperature range. The chips can either be incorporated into a fresnel or parabolic concentrator system. The use of the concentrator enables the system to be adjusted for use at different latitudes whilst maintaining a similar capital (KW peak) and generating cost (KW hour). The use of the heliostat enables approximately 20% more solar energy to be converted into electrical energy during the day. The economic effect is a significant decrease in the eKW/peak and the generated eKW/hour cost.
7) EwTx - The electro-winning technology was developed by the team that developed the original carbon based electro-winning process for Anglogold. The new version is 10 times more efficient at extracting precious metals from solution than their existing commercial technology. The system was field trialled at the Kumtor Mine owned by Centerra with excellent results. Can be used to create much purer solutions (less pollution) than existing electro-winning operations.